After weeks of drought, we have finally had some rain and it is a welcomed relief. With the rain, the color burst forth in both vegetable and flower beds. Our Rainbow Swiss Chard continues to provide us with delicious and colorful side dishes. The heavy stems have been diced, blanched and frozen for fall and winter soups. If you look down the side garden path you will see that my little marigolds and zinnias have grown into mature plants. If you are wondering where all of the zinnia blooms are, I cut them all off today. Yesterday I cut huge bouquets and today I cut the rest of the blossoms. Within a few days, we will have gorgeous flowers blooming. I will post pictures when they all pop.
The front flower bed is all mature also. The coral nymph and lady in red host lots of hummingbirds all day long. The orange profussion zinnias filled in right up to the marigolds.
Here is a close-up of the salvias. They continued blooming right through the drought which was good for the hummingbirds!
The nasturtiums took a real beating in the drought but I've had enough blossoms to add to summer salads and to fill with a delicious cream cheese and dates mixture. Oh so good!
No comments:
Post a Comment